• Shea butter is a tree nut product. But shea butter is very low in the proteins that trigger allergies.
• Shea butter doesn’t contain chemical irritants known to dry out skin, and it doesn’t clog pores.
• There’s no medical literature documenting an allergy to shea butter used on the skin.
• When you apply shea butter on your skin, the oils are quickly absorbed into your skin. The oils replenish lipids to the skin and quickly creating moisture.
• A barrier between your skin and the outside environment is re-established. The barrier holds moisture in and reduces dryness.
• Shea butter contains linoleic acid and oleic acid. These two acids balance each other out, making it easy for your skin to fully absorb and not appear oily aſter applied.
• If you have eczema like me, using shea butter can be super helpful because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
• Applying shea butter to your skin, slows the production of cytokines and other inflammatory cells. This can help decrease skin irritation and inflammatory skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis.
• Shea butters anti-inflammatory properties may also help soothe sun burns, skin burns, insect bites, muscle soreness and many other inflammatory conditions.
Shea butter has vitamins E and A. These vitamins are antioxidants. Topical Antioxidants protect your skin from free radicals and are anti-aging agents.
Shea butter kills spores of the fungi that causes ringworm and athlete’s foot.
• Shea butters moisturizing and antioxidant properties helps your skin generate fresh new cells. A healthy skin moisture balance, reduces dead skin cells and promotes cell regeneration.
• Cell regeneration may also help your skin heal and reduce the appearance of stretch marks, scarring, fine lines and wrinkles.
It’s not recommended to use shea butter alone as an effective sunscreen. Shea butter only contains an SPF of about 3 to 4. That being said, it’s comforting to know that shea butter does give your skin an added layer of protection.
Applying shea butter to your scalp and hair can restore moisture to your dry hair and dry irritated scalp.